August 4, 2021
Aloha e Waiāhole ʻOhana,
Welcome back to a new school year! Each year, I select an ʻolelo noʻeau which helps to guide the work that we do as a school. For the 2021-2022 school year, I have selected “E ala! E alu! E kuilima! -- Up! Together! Join hands! (ʻMary Kawena Pukui). Although we know things can change at a snap, we are excited to see our keiki!
Our teachers and staff are excited for this school year. Here are our teachers and staff:
- Pre K SpEd - Mrs. Amarilis Acevedo
- Pre K EOEL - Ms. Malia Pimentel
- Kinder - Mrs. Sheila Manuel
- Grade 1 - Ms. Jacquline Yanagi
- Grade 2 - Ms. Roxanne Yamashiro
- Grade 3 -Ms. Lisha Hendrick/Ms. Nikki Morishige
- Grade 4 - Ms. Pam Alo
- Grade 5 - Ms. Crystal Boucon
- Grade 6 - Ms. Donna Kawasaki
- SpEd Inclusion - Mrs. Emily Alago
- Academic Coach - Ms. Nikki Morishige
- Counselor/SCC - Mr. Shane Kumashiro
- Office -Ms. Sheri Kusaka (SASA) & Aunty Sas (School Health Aide) & Aunty Shelley (Office Assistant/PCNC PPT)
- EAs - Ms. Joelyn Kaina (PreK SpEd), Ms. Ariana Akuna (PreK EOEL) & Mrs. Cindy Wong (SpEd K-6)
- PPTs - Mrs. Melissa Drew (Grade 4 & Makerspace), Mrs. Penny Rapoza (Art)
- PTT - Kumu Mary
- Custodians - Aunty Theresa (TA Head Custodian), Uncle Ivan & Aunty Dallas (Sub Custodians)
- Cafeteria - Uncle Darryl Chun (SFSM), Uncle Ryan Nekonishi (Cook), Aunty Molly OʻDell (Van Driver) & Aunty Cheryl Kim (Meal Prep)
- Free Meals - Waiāhole Elementary School has been identified as a Community Eligible Program. All students will have access to free meals (breakfast and lunch) this school year. The cafeteria is still closed to families for health/safety reasons.
- First Day of School - Grades PreK SpEd, 1-6 start on August 4th. PreK EOEL and Kindergarten families should refer to the schedules sent by the teachers.
- Bell Schedule - School starts at 7:45 a.m. Please do not send your child early if they will not be eating breakfast. This will help us limit the number of students in our cafeteria for health and safety concerns. Breakfast starts at 7:15 a.m.-7:40 a.m. (M/T/Th/Friday - 7:45 a.m.-2:05 p.m & Wed - 7:45 a.m.-12:50 p.m.)
- School Supplies for K-6 - Due to a generous donation, school supplies will be provided for our students and will be distributed the first week of school.
- Drop-Off/Pick-Up - We ask that you stay in your car. We will be screening children when they come on campus. We ask that you stay in your car until we screen your child.
- Opening School Year Packet - We will be sending home our packet of information during the first week of school. We ask that you go through the packet.
- Health & Safety Guidelines - All health and safety protocols must be followed. We ask that you do a wellness check on your child before bringing them to school. All students are required to wear masks. We ask that you send your child to school with an extra face masks.
- Visitors - All visitors must check in at the front office. We ask that you do not walk around our campus for health and safety reasons.
Together we will do what is best for our students and continue to build on the great work that we have done during the last several years! I look forward to seeing everyone and hereʻs to an exciting year!